Thursday, May 21, 2015

Overall Experience : Taking a crab out of its shell

Hermit crabs are known for loving their shells and often hiding in them when they get scared.  The only time they leave their shell is when it gets too small and they need a bigger one.  I would not normally refer myself to a crab but before leaving for this trip I definitely had a comfort zone.  I have grown up to be a very family orientated person and kind of a homebody.  Yes, I love to go and hang out with friends and go on trips, but none of these have stretched my comfort zone.  I have always pictured myself as a semi- adventurous person but someone who wanted to open up more to adventure and just did not know how.  This can be difficult when the longest time you have ever spent away from your parents is only a week.  I have loved living in Kearney in my whole life, but I knew that if I did not get out at some point then I would be stuck there for my whole life and would not know anything else.  That is when studying abroad came into mind.  In past years, I have never ever considered the thought but decided to change my ways and give it shot this year.  I had no clue what to expect.  I had never been out of the country or traveled by myself before so I was in for a huge wake up call. 

During this journey I have faced many challenges that have only made me stronger as a person.  Due to never being away from my family for a long time, I struggled with homesickness many times during this trip.  Even though struggling with homesickness was not fun and often made me depressed, I would not change the fact of dealing with it.   I believe this experience has developed me into being a more independent person.  I have learned how to solve and deal with situations on my own and have had to break through communication barriers while doing so.  Along this trip, I have also gained friendships that will not compare to any other type formed.  This trip has forced many of us to push our comfort zones, sort through problems, struggle with communicating, etc.  Because I have not had my family and friends to confide in, I have turned to these new friendships as a source of comfort.  It is hard to explain the difference of friendships that I have gained here and the bond of traveling we all share together.  This study abroad experience has also helped my gain confidence in many different categories.  It has helped me to break out of my shell and be who I really am and has shown me the person that I want to be or remembered as.  Ending this trip, I can now say that I have traveled to just as many countries that I have states.  In three months I have embarked in many plane and train rides, stayed at various hostels, experienced numerous adventures, and traveled to ten different countries.  Before this trip, I had flown on a plane once.  I was terrified to go on the overseas flight and always thought of the worst possibilities.  Now, flying and reading an airport seems like a breeze.  This opportunity has developed a traveling confidence in me.  I am no longer scared to travel the world or even the 50 states.  There are so many opportunities, experiences, confidences in this trip that I have gained.  I would consider the crab to have been taken out of her shell and still living life with the greatest attitude.
Me pictured in the airport before leaving Omaha

Me after first arriving in the Czech

Me pictured in Austria 


Me picturd in Italy

Me pictured in France

Me pictured in Spain

Me pictured in Croatia

Me pictured in Poland

No comments:

Post a Comment